Tuesday 26 April 2011

Swan Sofa



These were my swans when they first came to me. The gesso was filthy and all the gold had been completely worn away. There is no paint on the swans, just original gesso and fresh gesso where there were cracks and breaks. The gesso has been waxed to protect it. I hope they never get as dirty again as they were when they first arrived!








And here they are now. I was very happy that the client was intent on keeping the burnish very high and not distressing the gold. I think ageing the fresh gold on this piece wouldn't have worked. The sofa's on its way to Moscow. I feel sad about that. I know it will be well loved by its new owner, but I fell passionately for these swans when I was working on them.

4 comments:

  1. I always get so sad at leaving a space that we feel a particular affinity for. We were working in a hotel for a month and as we left, one of our team members said "It's as if we're leaving a piece of our hearts here...". The swans look fantastic, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true! Think there's an artist's heart in a lot of work. I can feel it when I restore something that's really beautiful and has been made with love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gilding the lily and the swan! I swear you have the most fun projects!

    ReplyDelete