Friday 1 April 2011

Restoring Urushi Lacquer

I'm seeing more chinoiserie and urushi in the studio these days. It's one of my favourite types of furniture to restore, so I'm really happy about that. When I was an apprentice I loved working on lacquer furniture. It took me a long time to develop enough skill to copy the brushwork. The Japanese craftsmen were just so incredibly talented and had such control over their lines. I still marvel at how perfect the gold work is.

This first picture is of a water mark on an urishi lacquer table. The white blob is something I use to remove marks. Easy when you know how! There aren't any chemicals that can remove water marks from urushi, but there is a simple technique that does it. Well, I say simple, it's time consuming and takes a lot of patience, but as you can see from the second picture, it really works.