Sunday 10 April 2011

Mother of Pearl Effect

Thank goodness for professional photographers, my pictures of verre eglomise are pretty awful. I'll have good photos next week. In the meantime, here's a shot of my mother of pearl glass gilding. I use moongold to soften the back colour. Traditionally, gilders use silver, but I find the silver too bright and harsh. Moongold softens the wash and gives it a creamy warm colour. This effect is one of a series I'm doing for Gold Leaf Supplies, and I'll also be teaching students how to do it on my May course (14th May at J. Hornsby 150 Old Brompton Road) Email me for details.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I also loved your studio door that you posted not too long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The door looked a little scary when I first gilded it. The silver was so glam it could have been a club door. I wanted something a bit aged and softened so I added the decoration to help with that, and over time it has grown into its own. Silver looks so pretty unfinished.

    ReplyDelete