Thursday 14 April 2011

Gilder's Tools and Class Details


This is my pigment colouring box. It's been used by restorers for a lot longer than I've been around and was given to me by a great friend who's also in the business. Gilder's tools are a bit special. You end up cherishing brushes, and your gold knife feels like part of you when you cut the leaf. Opening up a parcel full of gilder's equipment is a pretty unusual experience. Gold leaf, squirrel brushes, rabbit skin glue, a pigskin pad, a dog's tooth agate. All the materials gilders use haven't changed for centuries.

Gold Leaf Supplies have a glass gilding kit that I recommend students buy for my Verre Eglomise Courses http://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/ It's great value (£64.95 plus VAT & postage) and full of Gilder's goodies that will delight you. It has everything you'll need to gild glass. It's worth investing in if you want to gild glass, or contact me if you don't know how to do it and would like to learn. My next group class is on the 14th of May at J Hornsby http://www.jhornsbyinteriors.co.uk/ and costs £150.00 for the day. Contact me at londongilding@gmail.com for booking details.

2 comments:

  1. Now that is beautiful.
    What a treasure!

    Hey- you have comments now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Comments, thanks for asking for them! I love the pigment box. I am very lucky to have it. I'm sure restorers will be using it long after I've retired.

    ReplyDelete