Thursday 7 April 2011

Clare Lewis's Gold Shoes

More Gold Shoes! Am just back from seeing Clare Lewis's private view of "What We Will Know Tomorrow" at Shoreditch Town Hall. What an amazing venue for her work. I loved it. The basement is a beautiful warren of deserted rooms with half ripped out fireplaces and stripped walls. I knew she had gold shoes somewhere, but I really had to search for them, and I felt like I was looking for Cinderella. She has other casts of shoes that are ghostly white and so fragile. I had to use a torch to find them. They were quite scary glimmering in the dark. They looked like skeletal shoes. The gold shoes are different. The shoes they were cast from were old, and yet the gold is so perfect. I like that they look well worn and yet have such a professional finish. It helps that Clare is such a good gilder! It's such a pleasure to see a fine artist using traditional artisan skills.