Thursday 16 July 2009

A Fine Cabinetmaker

Rutherford Latty of A. J. Brett and Co. One of the finest cabinetmakers I know. I've had the pleasure of working with this man for 10 years. I know many excellent craftsmen and women in London. The reason I especially prize Rutherford is because of his sensitivity, depth of knowledge and attention to detail. No one knows the names of history's great restorers as their work has to be invisible. It's one thing to create an exquisite piece of furniture, it's quite another to have the skill to match others' work, subsume your own style and always put another craftsman's intentions above your own. Rutherford does all of that, easily and with pleasure. So I'm giving this invisible man some well deserved praise. Luckily he doesn't know I have a blog, he'd kill me if he knew I'd put a picture of him on it! If you want to get in touch with him, you can't. He won't take calls. But he works for A. J. Brett and Co in North London, and their number is 02072728462

No comments:

Post a Comment